Seronera Airstrip is located about a kilometer south of the Seronera tourist information center in the Serengeti National Park. It is the largest airstrip in the park and is mainly used by small regional flights, with a few small international ones as well. In the following sections, we’ll cover everything you need to know about flights to Seronera Airstrip.
Seronera Airstrip is a small airstrip located in the Seronera area, in the heart of the Serengeti National Park, Tanzania. It serves as a gateway to the heart of the park, offering visitors convenient access to the diverse wildlife and stunning landscapes of the Serengeti. The airstrip is particularly popular among tourists who want to experience the Great Wildebeest Migration, which takes place in the Seronera area between November and June.
Getting to Seronera Airstrip
Assuming you’re heading to Seronera Airstrip for a flight, the best way to get there is by driving from any point within the national park. It’s about a 2-hour drive from both Naabi hill and Ndabaka gates. Keep in mind that driving in the Serengeti can be challenging due to rough terrain and wildlife crossings.
The easiest way to reach Seronera Airstrip is by air. Several airlines operate regular flights to and from the airstrip, including Coastal Aviation, Auric Air, and Regional Air. Flights depart from various locations, such as Arusha, Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar, and other airports in Tanzania. The flight to Seronera Airstrip offers spectacular views of the Serengeti from above, allowing visitors to appreciate the vastness and beauty of the park.
For those who prefer to drive, the Seronera Airstrip is accessible by road, though the journey can be long and bumpy, particularly during the rainy season. The nearest town to Seronera is Arusha, which is approximately 320 km away. Visitors can rent a car and self-drive or hire a private driver to take them to the airstrip.
Best Time to Visit Seronera Airstrip
The Serengeti National Park is open all year round, but the best time to visit depends on your interests. If you’re interested in seeing the wildebeest migration, then the early months of the year (January to March) are the best time to visit. However, if you’re interested in game viewing, then the dry season (June to October) is the best time to visit as animals are more concentrated around water sources.
The best time to visit Seronera is during the dry season, which runs from June to October. The weather during this period is mild and pleasant, and wildlife sightings are excellent as the animals congregate around water sources. The Great Wildebeest Migration also takes place in the Seronera area between November and June, offering visitors the chance to witness one of the most spectacular wildlife events on earth.
Seronera Airstrip is a small airstrip located in the heart of Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. It is one of the busiest and most important airports in the park, serving as a gateway for tourists to the park’s many attractions. The airport is located near the Seronera River and is surrounded by acacia trees and grassland, providing a beautiful setting for visitors arriving by air.
What to do there?
The Seronera Airstrip serves as a convenient entry point for visitors to the park, providing easy access to some of the park’s most famous attractions. These include game drives to see the park’s famous wildlife, including the Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhino), as well as hot air balloon rides and guided walking tours.
Location of Seronera Airstrip
Seronera Airstrip is located at the heart of the Serengeti National Park, inside the small town of Seronera. There are many special and public campsites nearby, as well as a lodge, a tourist information centre, two fuel stations, and a village with shops, bars, and a dispensary.
The Seronera Airstrip is located in the central part of Serengeti National Park, just a few kilometers south of the Seronera River. The park is located in northern Tanzania, bordering Kenya’s Maasai Mara Reserve to the north.
Things to Do in Seronera
Seronera is one of the most popular areas in the Serengeti National Park, thanks to its abundance of wildlife and stunning landscapes. Visitors to the area can enjoy a wide range of activities, including:
- Wildlife Watching – Seronera is home to a variety of wildlife, including lions, elephants, giraffes, cheetahs, zebras, and many more. Visitors can embark on game drives to explore the area and get up close to these magnificent creatures.
- Bird Watching – The Serengeti is also a bird watcher’s paradise, with over 500 species of birds found in the park. Seronera is particularly rich in birdlife, with numerous species of raptors, waterbirds, and forest birds.
- Hot Air Balloon Rides – For a truly unforgettable experience, visitors can take a hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti at sunrise. The views from above are breathtaking, with panoramic vistas of the park and its inhabitants.
- Cultural Tours – Visitors can learn more about the Maasai culture by taking a cultural tour of a nearby village. The Maasai are a semi-nomadic tribe that has lived in the Serengeti for centuries, and a visit to their village offers a unique glimpse into their way of life.
- Photography – Seronera’s stunning landscapes and diverse wildlife make it a photographer’s dream. Visitors can capture incredible shots of animals in their natural habitat, as well as the breathtaking scenery of the Serengeti.
There are several airlines that offer flights to Seronera Airstrip, including regional airlines such as Coastal Aviation, Safari Airlink, and Auric Air, as. Flights to Seronera Airstrip typically depart from major airports in Tanzania, such as Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam or Kilimanjaro International Airport in Arusha. Some airlines also offer flights to Seronera Airstrip from other countries in the region, such as Kenya or Rwanda. It’s best to check with your preferred airline or a travel agent to find the most convenient and affordable flight options to Seronera Airstrip.
Seronera Airstrip is only accessible via connecting flights from major cities or neighboring countries. There are no direct flights to Seronera Airstrip. Several airlines operate flights to the airstrip, including Coastal Aviation, Auric Air, and Regional Air. These airlines offer scheduled flights as well as private charter flights.
Airlines that Operate Flights to Seronera Airstrip
Coastal Aviation is a Tanzania-based airline that operates scheduled and private charter flights to Seronera Airstrip. They offer flights from Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar, Arusha, Kilimanjaro, Manyara, and other destinations in Tanzania. Their fleet consists of Cessna Caravans and Grand Caravans, which can accommodate up to 12 passengers.
Auric Air is another Tanzania-based airline that operates scheduled and private charter flights to Seronera Airstrip. They offer flights from Arusha, Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar, and other destinations in Tanzania. Their fleet consists of Cessna Grand Caravans and Cessna 208B Grand Caravans, which can accommodate up to 13 passengers.
Regional Air is a Kenya-based airline that operates scheduled and private charter flights to Seronera Airstrip. They offer flights from Nairobi, Mombasa, and other destinations in Kenya. Their fleet consists of Cessna Caravans and Beechcraft King Airs, which can accommodate up to 9 passengers.
Best Time to Book Flights to Seronera Airstrip
When it comes to booking flights to Seronera Airstrip, timing is everything. The best time to book your flight is during the off-peak season, which runs from April to May and November to mid-December. During this time, airlines offer lower prices due to decreased demand. On the other hand, the peak season runs from June to October and mid-December to January, so you should expect higher prices and book well in advance.
How to Book Flights to Seronera Airstrip
There are several ways to book flights to Seronera Airstrip, depending on your location and travel preferences. You can book directly through major airlines such as Precision Air, Coastal Aviation, or Safari Airlink. Alternatively, you can book through a travel agency or online booking platform such as Expedia or Travelocity. Be sure to compare prices and check for promotions or deals before booking.
Where to Fly From
Seronera Airstrip is accessible from several major cities in Tanzania, as well as neighboring countries. Some of the most common departure cities include Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar, Arusha, and Nairobi. Many airlines also offer connecting flights from other major international airports, so be sure to check for availability and prices.
Airlines That Fly to Seronera Airstrip
Several airlines offer flights to Seronera Airstrip, both commercial and chartered. Here are some of the most common airlines that fly to Seronera Airstrip:
- Precision Air
- Coastal Aviation
- Safari Airlink
- Air Excel
- Regional Air Services
Flights to Seronera Airstrip: What to Expect
Now that you’ve booked your flight to Seronera Airstrip, you may be wondering what to expect upon arrival. Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- The airstrip is small and primarily used for chartered flights, so expect a more rustic and authentic safari experience.
- There are no facilities such as restaurants or restrooms at the airport, so be sure to plan accordingly.
- Safari vehicles will be waiting for you upon arrival to transport you to your accommodations.
- You may encounter wildlife such as zebras or wildebeests during the short drive from the airstrip to your accommodations, so keep your camera ready!
Accommodation Near Seronera Airstrip
There are several accommodation options near Seronera airstrip that cater to different budgets and preferences. Here are a few:
- Serengeti Serena Safari Lodge: This is a luxurious lodge located just a few kilometres from Seronera airstrip. It features elegant rooms, a swimming pool, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Serengeti Sopa Lodge: This lodge is situated in the Nyarboro Hills, with stunning views of the Serengeti plains. It offers spacious rooms, a swimming pool, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Seronera Wildlife Lodge: This lodge is located within the Serengeti national park and offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant, and a bar. It’s situated close to the airstrip and offers convenient access to game drives and other park activities.
- Serengeti Acacia Camps: This is a tented camp located near the Seronera river, offering comfortable tents with en-suite bathrooms, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Serengeti Kati Kati Tented Camp: This is another tented camp located near the Seronera river, offering comfortable tents with en-suite bathrooms, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Serengeti Simba Lodge: This lodge is located about 20 kilometres from Seronera airstrip, in the Ikoma wildlife management area. It offers comfortable rooms, a swimming pool, a restaurant, and a bar.
There are many other lodges, campsites, and hotels located in and around Seronera airstrip, offering a range of options for different budgets and preferences. It’s best to do some research and book in advance to ensure availability during peak travel seasons.
Here are some frequently asked questions about flights to Seronera airstrip:
- What airlines offer flights to Seronera airstrip? A: There are several regional airlines that offer flights to Seronera airstrip, including Auric Air, Coastal Aviation, and Safari Air Link.
- Can I book a direct flight to Seronera airstrip from outside Tanzania? A: No, currently there are no direct flights to Seronera airstrip from outside Tanzania. You would need to first fly to a major airport in Tanzania, such as Kilimanjaro International Airport or Julius Nyerere International Airport, and then take a regional flight to Seronera airstrip.
- How much does it cost to fly to Seronera airstrip? A: The cost of a flight to Seronera airstrip can vary depending on the airline, time of year, and how far in advance you book. It’s best to check with the airline directly for current pricing.
- How long is the flight to Seronera airstrip? A: The duration of the flight can vary depending on the departure point, airline, and any layovers. Regional flights within Tanzania can range from 1 to 2 hours.
- Is Seronera airstrip open year-round? A: Yes, Seronera airstrip is open year-round, but weather conditions can affect flight schedules, particularly during the rainy season from March to May.
- Are there any accommodation options near Seronera airstrip? A: Yes, there are several lodges, campsites, and hotels located near Seronera airstrip, offering a range of options for different budgets and preferences.