Welcome to Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp by Sanctuary Retreats, an extraordinary retreat that combines the allure of a bygone era with the comforts of modern luxury. Nestled in the heart of the Serengeti, this exclusive camp offers a unique experience where guests can witness the breathtaking annual migration of over a million wildebeest and zebras. From game drives to sundowners, accommodation to dining, this article will take you on a journey through the remarkable offerings of Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp.
Kichaka is a Swahili term that means “Bush” and what a way to find a luxury oasis in the middle of the African Bush.
1. CLASSIC CAMPAIGN TENTS
Experience the elegance of contemporary camping in Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp’s classic campaign tents. Each of the ten five-star tents is meticulously styled to offer a unique and comfortable retreat. Step onto the wooden deck and enjoy a freshly brewed cup of Tanzania’s finest coffee. The ensuite bathrooms feature authentic bucket showers, and a personal tent attendant is available round the clock to ensure the perfect showering experience. The camp’s sand-colored canvas construction minimizes its ecological footprint, allowing you to enjoy luxury while respecting the environment.
2. CANOPY COMMUNITY
In addition to the private tents, Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp boasts a grand central canopied area where the main tent seamlessly flows into lounges and dining wings. Revel in awe-inspiring panoramas as the sides of the tents open to reveal the breathtaking landscape. Indulge in international flavors complemented by traditional Tanzanian salsa, coconut beans, spices sourced from nearby Zanzibar, and more, all expertly prepared by the camp’s talented chef and team. Spend your evenings gathered by the traditional fire pit, swapping stories under the starry skies, and listening to captivating tales from the passionate guides.
Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp is a movable camp strategically positioned along the natural migration path. Here’s how you can reach this extraordinary destination:
- Southern Serengeti: The camp is open from 1st December to 31st March 2023.
- Lamai Airstrip is the designated airstrip for the Northern Serengeti.
- Serengeti South Airstrip (SGS) serves the Southern Serengeti.
- Flying time from Arusha to Lamai airstrip: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Flying time from Arusha to Serengeti South airstrip: 1 hour.
- Road transfer time from Lamai airstrip to Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp:
The Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp is nestled in the heart of the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. This breathtaking location offers guests a front-row seat to one of the most remarkable natural spectacles on Earth—the Great Migration. The camp is strategically positioned along the migration path, allowing visitors to witness the awe-inspiring sight of over a million wildebeest and zebras as they traverse the Serengeti plains in search of fresh grazing grounds. The camp’s mobile nature ensures that guests are always in the midst of the action, providing an unforgettable wildlife experience.
The Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp offers a range of amenities designed to enhance the comfort and convenience of its guests. The camp features ten luxurious five-star tents, each elegantly furnished with a contemporary twist on the classic campaign style. These tents are thoughtfully designed with wooden decks, providing the perfect spot to savor a cup of Tanzania’s finest coffee while taking in the breathtaking views. The ensuite bathrooms feature authentic bucket showers, and a personal tent attendant is available round the clock to ensure a warm and refreshing shower experience.
The camp also boasts a grand central canopied area where the main tent seamlessly transitions into lounges and dining wings. This communal space offers panoramic vistas of the surrounding landscape, allowing guests to immerse themselves in the natural beauty of the Serengeti. The camp’s culinary team delights visitors with a variety of international flavors, including traditional Tanzanian delicacies like kachumbari (Tanzanian salsa) and spices sourced from nearby Zanzibar. Evenings at the camp are spent gathered around the traditional fire pit, sharing stories under the starry skies and listening to the captivating tales of the passionate guides.
The Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp offers the following amenities:
- Luxurious Tented Accommodations: The camp features spacious and well-appointed tents, designed to provide comfort and a connection to the natural surroundings. Each tent includes a private en-suite bathroom with hot and cold running water, flush toilets, and showers.
- Dining Tent: The camp has a communal dining tent where guests can enjoy delicious meals prepared by skilled chefs. The tent is designed with open sides, allowing for panoramic views of the Serengeti while dining.
- Lounge Area: There is a comfortable lounge area where guests can relax, socialize, and enjoy the camp’s library, which may contain books on local wildlife and the Serengeti ecosystem.
- Bar: The camp has a well-stocked bar that offers a selection of fine wines, spirits, and other beverages for guests to enjoy.
- Campfire: A communal campfire area provides an ideal setting for gathering in the evenings, sharing stories, and stargazing.
- Safari Vehicles: The camp provides custom-designed safari vehicles for game drives. These vehicles are equipped with comfortable seating, open sides, and a pop-up roof for optimal wildlife viewing and photography.
- Guided Game Drives: Experienced and knowledgeable guides lead game drives, providing guests with the opportunity to encounter the diverse wildlife of the Serengeti, including the Big Five.
- Guided Nature Walks: Guests can explore the Serengeti on foot accompanied by expert guides, gaining insights into the smaller creatures, flora, and fauna of the ecosystem.
- Photographic Safaris: The camp offers specialized photographic safaris for photography enthusiasts of all levels. Guides assist guests in capturing stunning wildlife shots and landscapes.
- Conservation Initiatives: The camp is committed to conservation and sustainability, incorporating eco-friendly practices, utilizing renewable energy sources, and supporting local communities through various initiatives.
Please note that specific amenities may vary, and it’s always recommended to check with the Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp for the most up-to-date information.
- Classic Campaign Tents: The Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp offers ten newly designed five-star tents that epitomize luxury and comfort. These classic campaign-style tents exude elegance and sophistication while blending seamlessly with the surrounding environment. Each tent is meticulously styled with distinctive furnishings and features a wooden deck, providing a serene space to unwind and enjoy the tranquility of the wilderness. The ensuite bathrooms offer an authentic safari experience with bucket showers that can be filled to the perfect temperature by the attentive tent attendant. The sand-colored canvas construction of the camp ensures minimal impact on the environment, reflecting a commitment to sustainable practices.
- Canopy Community: In addition to the private tents, the Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp offers a grand central canopied area that serves as a gathering point for guests. This expansive space connects the main tent to lounges and dining wings, creating a vibrant atmosphere where visitors can socialize and share their safari adventures. The canopied area offers awe-inspiring panoramic views, with the option to open the sides of the tents to reveal the breathtaking landscape of the Serengeti. The camp’s culinary team serves a delightful array of dishes, combining international flavors with local ingredients, resulting in a gastronomic experience that tantalizes the taste buds.
At the Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp, dining is an experience that goes beyond the palate. The camp’s talented chefs use their culinary expertise to create a fusion of flavors that celebrate the rich Tanzanian heritage. Guests can savor a variety of dishes, from traditional Tanzanian delicacies to international favorites. The use of locally sourced ingredients, such as coconut beans, paprika, cinnamon, and chili from Zanzibar, adds an authentic touch to each meal.
Meals can be enjoyed in the grand central canopied area, surrounded by the stunning Serengeti landscape. The camp’s communal dining setup encourages interaction among guests, fostering a sense of camaraderie and allowing for the sharing of safari stories and experiences. The open sides of the canopied area provide unobstructed views of the surrounding plains, allowing diners to immerse themselves in the natural beauty while enjoying their meals.
For breakfast, guests can indulge in a selection of freshly baked pastries, tropical fruits, and a variety of hot dishes prepared to order. Lunches are a delightful mix of light and refreshing options, featuring vibrant salads, grilled meats, and flavorful vegetarian dishes. In the evenings, a delectable three-course dinner awaits, showcasing the culinary talents of the camp’s chefs. Guests can savor the flavors of Tanzania with dishes such as Nyama Choma (grilled meat), Pilau (spiced rice), and Ugali (maize porridge), accompanied by a curated selection of fine wines and spirits.
The Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp also caters to specific dietary requirements, ensuring that all guests can enjoy a memorable dining experience. Whether it’s a vegetarian preference, gluten-free options, or any other dietary needs, the camp’s culinary team is dedicated to accommodating individual requests and creating delicious meals that cater to personal tastes and preferences.
Activities and Wildlife Viewing
The Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp offers a wide range of activities and wildlife viewing opportunities to ensure an immersive and unforgettable safari adventure. Guests can embark on thrilling game drives led by experienced and knowledgeable guides who possess a deep understanding of the local wildlife and ecosystem. These game drives take place in custom-designed safari vehicles, equipped with comfortable seating, open sides, and a pop-up roof for optimal wildlife viewing and photography.
The Serengeti National Park is renowned for its diverse wildlife, and guests have the opportunity to encounter the Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros, and buffalo) as well as other iconic African species, such as giraffes, zebras, wildebeest, cheetahs, hyenas, and numerous bird species. The camp’s location along the migration path ensures that visitors can witness the incredible spectacle of hundreds of thousands of wildebeest and zebras as they navigate the plains in search of greener pastures.
In addition to game drives, the camp offers guided nature walks, allowing guests to explore the Serengeti on foot accompanied by expert guides. These walks provide a unique perspective on the ecosystem, allowing for a closer look at the smaller creatures, flora, and fauna that may not be as easily observed from a vehicle. It’s an opportunity to learn about the intricate interconnections within the Serengeti’s ecosystem and gain a deeper appreciation for its delicate balance.
Photographic safaris are also available, catering to photography enthusiasts of all levels. Whether capturing close-ups of wildlife, stunning landscapes, or the vibrant colors of a Serengeti sunset, the camp’s guides are experienced in assisting guests in capturing the perfect shot.
1. GAME DRIVES
Immerse yourself in the wonders of the Serengeti with exhilarating game drives. Located on the natural migration path, Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp provides unparalleled wildlife viewing opportunities. Marvel at the sight of wildebeest, zebras, Thomson’s gazelles, and the predators that follow this migratory spectacle. The Serengeti is renowned for its Big Five sightings, and cheetahs are among the highlights. Keep your eyes peeled for wild dogs, giraffes, waterbucks, and impalas as well.
No safari experience is complete without indulging in sundowners. As the day draws to a close, take a moment to relish the magnificent African sunsets. Sip on a refreshing drink or savor a signature cocktail while surrounded by thousands of wildebeest and zebras. This magical setting provides the perfect backdrop for creating unforgettable memories.
Conservation and Sustainability
The Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp is committed to conservation and sustainability, aiming to minimize its ecological footprint while supporting the local community and preserving the natural heritage of the Serengeti. The camp operates in harmony with its surroundings, utilizing eco-friendly practices to ensure the long-term sustainability of the ecosystem.
The camp’s design incorporates renewable and locally sourced materials, including the use of sand-colored canvas to blend with the environment. Solar power is utilized for lighting and heating water, reducing the reliance on fossil fuels. Waste management systems are in place to minimize waste generation and promote recycling and composting.
The camp actively supports local communities through various initiatives, including providing employment opportunities, sourcing supplies from local farmers and artisans, and supporting education and healthcare projects. By engaging with the local community, the camp aims to create a positive impact and foster a sense of shared responsibility for the conservation of the Serengeti and its wildlife.
Kichakani Camp – Serengeti
The Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp offers an extraordinary safari experience in the heart of the Serengeti National Park. With its prime location along the migration path, luxurious accommodations, delectable cuisine, and a range of activities, guests are treated to an unforgettable adventure in one of Africa’s most iconic wilderness areas. Whether witnessing the Great Migration, exploring the diverse wildlife on game drives, or simply relaxing in the camp’s tranquil surroundings, the Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp provides a truly immersive and sustainable safari experience that showcases the wonders of the Serengeti.
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp:
- How do I get to the camp?
The camp is accessible by both road and air. You can arrange for a road transfer from nearby airstrips or drive from Arusha, which takes approximately 8-10 hours. Alternatively, you can book a domestic flight to one of the Serengeti airstrips, followed by a short transfer to the camp.
- What is the best time to visit the camp?
The camp is open year-round, but the best time to visit depends on your preferences. The Serengeti experiences different seasons, each offering unique wildlife experiences. The Great Migration, where millions of wildebeest and zebras migrate, is a popular event. It typically occurs between July and October. However, the Serengeti’s resident wildlife can be seen throughout the year.
- What types of accommodations are available at the camp?
The camp offers luxurious tented accommodations with en-suite bathrooms, hot and cold running water, flush toilets, and showers. Each tent is designed to provide comfort and a connection to nature, offering a unique safari experience.
- Are children allowed at the camp?
Yes, children of all ages are welcome at the Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp. However, it’s important to note that the camp is located in a wildlife area, and parents or guardians should closely supervise children at all times.
- What activities are available at the camp?
The camp offers a range of activities, including guided game drives, guided nature walks, and specialized photographic safaris. Guests can explore the Serengeti’s wildlife and ecosystem while accompanied by experienced guides.
- Is Wi-Fi available at the camp?
The camp aims to provide a true safari experience and is designed to allow guests to disconnect from the digital world, but Wi-Fi is available in the tents. However, there may be limited connectivity in common areas for essential communication.
- What safety measures are in place at the camp?
The camp prioritizes guest safety. It has trained staff, adheres to safety protocols, and provides emergency evacuation plans. It’s important to follow the guidance of the camp staff and guides during activities to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Can dietary preferences or restrictions be accommodated?
Yes, the camp can cater to dietary preferences and restrictions. It’s recommended to inform the camp in advance about any specific requirements, such as vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, or allergies, so that they can make the necessary arrangements.
- Are there laundry facilities available?
Yes, the camp offers laundry services for guests. You can inquire about the details and any associated charges at the camp.
- What is the cancellation policy?
The camp’s cancellation policy may vary depending on the booking terms and conditions. It’s advisable to review the specific policy at the time of booking or contact the camp directly for detailed information.
Remember to check with the Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding their FAQs and policies.