Mtemere Airstrip is the gateway to Southern Tanzania’s wild safari adventures. From here, you can explore the Selous Game Reserve, and Nyerere National Park and experience some of the most breathtaking landscapes and exotic wildlife in the world. Whether you’re a seasoned safari enthusiast or a first-time visitor, Mtemere Airstrip has something to offer everyone. So, pack your bags, book your safari adventure, and get ready for the adventure of a lifetime!
Are you looking for a thrilling adventure in Tanzania? Look no further than Mtemere Airstrip, the gateway to Tanzania’s wild safari adventures. Located in the heart of the Selous Game Reserve, the Mtemere Airstrip provides access to some of the most breathtaking landscapes and exotic wildlife in the world. In this article, we’ll explore the history of Mtemere Airstrip, its current state, and everything you need to know before embarking on your own safari adventure.
History of Mtemere Airstrip
Mtemere Airstrip was originally built in the 1950s by the British colonial government to support the Selous Game Reserve. The airstrip was primarily used for tourism and conservation purposes, and it quickly became a hub for safari enthusiasts from all over the world. Over the years, the airstrip has undergone several upgrades and renovations to accommodate the increasing number of tourists and provide a safe and comfortable landing spot for small planes.
Current State of Mtemere Airstrip
Today, Mtemere Airstrip is a well-maintained and modern facility that offers a range of services to tourists and safari operators. The airstrip is managed by the Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority (TCAA), and it meets all international safety standards. The airstrip is equipped with modern navigational aids and runway lighting, making it possible for planes to land and take off safely even at night. There is also a small terminal building where passengers can wait for their flights or arrange ground transportation.
Getting to Mtemere Airstrip
Mtemere Airstrip is located in the Selous Game Reserve and Near Nyerere National Park, which is a remote and pristine wilderness area in southern Tanzania. The easiest way to get to the airstrip is by flying from Dar es Salaam or Zanzibar. There are several domestic airlines that operate flights to Mtemere Airstrip, including Coastal Aviation, Safari Airlink, and Auric Air. The flight takes about an hour and offers stunning views of the Selous Game Reserve from above.
Safari Adventures from Mtemere Airstrip
Once you arrive at Mtemere Airstrip, you’ll be in the heart of the Selous Game Reserve, which is one of the largest and most diverse game reserves in Africa. From here, you can embark on a wide range of safari adventures, including game drives, boat safaris, walking safaris, and fly-in safaris. The Selous Game Reserve and Nyerere National Park are home to a vast array of wildlife, including elephants, lions, leopards, buffaloes, hippos, crocodiles, and many more. It’s also a birdwatcher’s paradise, with over 400 species of birds recorded in the reserve.
Accommodation near Mtemere Airstrip
There are several lodges and camps near Mtemere Airstrip that offer a range of accommodation options to suit every budget and preference. Some of the most popular lodges include Selous River Camp, Selous Wilderness Camp, and Rufiji River Camp. These lodges offer luxury tents and chalets, as well as all-inclusive packages that include meals, game drives, and other activities.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Mtemere Airstrip safe for landing? Yes, Mtemere Airstrip meets all international safety standards and is regularly inspected by the Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority.
- What is the best time of year to visit Mtemere Airstrip? The best time to visit Mtemere Airstrip is during the dry season, which runs from June to October.
- What is the best way to book a safari adventure from Mtemere Airstrip? You can book a safari adventure from Mtemere Airstrip through a reputable tour operator or travel agent. They can help you customize your safari experience and arrange all the logistics, including flights, accommodation, and activities.
- What should I pack for a safari adventure in the Selous Game Reserve? It’s important to pack light and practical clothing that will protect you from the sun and insects, such as long-sleeved shirts, pants, and a hat. You should also bring comfortable walking shoes, a rain jacket, a camera, binoculars, and any medication you might need.
- Is it safe to travel to the Selous Game Reserve? The Selous Game Reserve is a safe and well-managed wildlife area. However, it’s important to follow the rules and guidelines set by the reserve management, such as not leaving your vehicle during a game drive and keeping a safe distance from wildlife.
- What other attractions are there near Mtemere Airstrip? Besides the Selous Game Reserve and Nyerere National Park, there are several other attractions near Mtemere Airstrip, including the Rufiji River, Stiegler’s Gorge, and the nearby Mikumi National Park.